A comprehensive training with Dr Paris Williams, Certified Hakomi Teacher
WELLINGTON: Mon 25 Nov—Fri 29 Nov 2019
[This training greatly expands upon the popular 2-day trauma workshops taught by Dr Williams throughout New Zealand over the past year and a half. For those new to this work, we will be covering all of the basic theory and methodology necessary to make full use of this approach, so it is not required that you have prior training in this or any other particular method.]
There has been a steady movement within the field of trauma therapy over the past few decades towards the increasing recognition that:
- Psychological trauma (i.e., PTSD, acute trauma and developmental trauma) is primarily held within the body and nervous system,
- Working directly with the body (via sensations, impulses, breath, posture, etc.) is therefore key to resolving entrenched trauma conditions,
- That a particular attitude of open curiosity to one’s present experience—i.e., mindfulness—is an extremely helpful component to recovering from these conditions.
As therapists and other helping professions supporting people who grapple with unresolved trauma, we are very fortunate that a number of methods have been developed in recent years that incorporate these principles, and which have been providing tremendous healing for millions of people around the world who have struggled with trauma conditions. Among the most well established of these methods are Hakomi, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Somatic Experiencing and EMDR.
In this half-year trauma training, you will learn and practice an integrative approach to mindful/somatic trauma therapy that draws from the collective wisdom and practice of these and other closely related methods. In particular, you will…
1. Learn a simple yet potent universal framework for making sense of extreme emotional and traumatic states, helping you to identify where your clients’ experiences are on the spectrum of ANS (Autonomic Nervous System) arousal, and therefore which interventions are likely to be most helpful at any given point in the therapy process. This theoretical framework is based on the latest research on the psychology and physiology of trauma.
2. Learn a broad map outlining the essential stages of the overarching process of trauma-focused therapy
3. Develop your own capacity as a therapist to remain present and grounded, safely holding the space for clients to do the difficult work of trauma recovery, while not risking your own dysregulation, vicarious trauma and “burnout”.
4. Learn a number of effective yet relatively simple mindful somatic tools based on these methods that you can begin using right away to…
- Help your clients develop confidence working with strong feelings and ANS arousal
- Help your clients develop a sense of groundedness, presence and orientation
- Help your clients to develop a rich and healthy connection with their own feelings and needs
- Make the distinction between a beneficial “emotional release” and being “stuck in a trauma response”
- Work with flashbacks, intrusive memories and nightmares
- Work with somatization (unresolved feelings/memories held within the body)
* Due to the highly experiential nature of this workshop, it is strongly recommended that participants have some counselling/psychotherapy experience prior to attending this training.
* In order to maximize individual support, this workshop will be capped at 24 participants.
* A Certificate of Completion will be awarded upon completion of the training (requiring a minimum of 8 days attendance and completing both one-on-one supervision sessions).
The overall structure of this training will include:
- 2 x 5-day training modules (taking place once a month from May thru September, 2019)
- 2 x 1hr one-on-one supervision sessions with Paris
Home of Compassion
2 Rhine St, Island Bay, Wellington
Dates and times (2019):
- Module 1: 25-29 November, 2019
- Module 2: 10-14 February, 2020
- (9:00am-4:30pm on all days)
- plus 2 x 1hr one-on-one supervision sessions with Paris to be scheduled individually
Investment: $2,450 (incl. GST)
*Early bird rate is only $2,250 (incl. GST) if paid by 1st September
*Snacks/teas will be provided morning and afternoon on all days
*Lunch is not provided but is available on-site (with vegan and gluten-free options), and there are a number of other nearby lunch options
*Accommodations are available on site – $70/single; $99/shared or double
For more details about this training, visit Dr Williams’ website.
Numbers are limited, so you’ll want to register as soon as possible to ensure obtaining a space.